1. WHAT IS TAW ?
Tactical Air War (TAW) is a simulation of the World War II conflict from the military pilot’s perspective. It’s an online 24/7 campaign with a dynamic front-line and a limited semi-historical, balanced plane set. Every mission is different, because the next one is generated based on events from previous one. For example: if you destroy some vehicles in a convoy in one mission then there will not be those vehicles in the convoy in the next mission. If you seriously damage an enemy airfield then it will be closed in the next mission. All events have impact on the next mission.
The TAW campaign consists of eight maps. The side (Axis or Allied) which wins more maps win the campaign. There are three ways to win a map:
· enemy loses all its cities
· enemy has no open airfields
· enemy exceeds aircraft or pilots limit
Every map consist of many missions. Each mission last about 2 hours. All facilities like navigation and objects icons, kill notifications are set to off.
· Registration is obligatory. You may have one account for Allied side and/or one account for Axis side
· Pilots have limited number of aircraft. Please check available aircraft in pilot’s details before next sortie
· Friendly fire is forbidden. You will be banned for deliberately shooting at the team mates or friendly ground units
· Don't shoot at enemy aircraft if some else is shooting at it. Don't steal kills
· Use taxiways and runways for taking off
· Vulgar or offensive words are forbidden. Respect other pilots on the chat
· Don't use chat for asking questions not related with the current mission. Use the forum instead
· It's forbidden for squadron members to fly on the both sides at the same time.
Registration is obligatory. On the registration form you will need to fill in:
· Pilot name – This must be the full name that matches your in-game name for IL-2. You must also include your squadron tag if you have one.
· Email – it can be fake. We don’t send any emails. It’s used only during password recovery.
· Side – it’s recommended to choose side with less players to balance the server.
· Preferred planes – Type of aircraft that will be first replenish.
To change the name of your pilot please log in and change name in Pilot profile tab in the top-right corner on the TAW main page.
To register a squadron please log in and click Squad profile tab in the top-right corner on the TAW main page. You will be the leader of this squadron. Next you may add others members to this squadron.
It’s possible to register two different accounts: one for Allied and one for Axis. To switch between them please update il2sturmovik.com account to match account on TAW. If you don’t want to update il2sturmovik.com account then you have to change names of your accounts on TAW page.
3. GAMEPLAY OBJECTIVES
3.1 Game Overview
There are many decisions to be made while flying on TAW. This section will help you get started. First of all, check the map on the server on the website to see how the tactical situation and weather looks like. On the website, there is information about every airfield and city:
· City Name – name of the city or nearby airfield
· Attacked – is city currently being attacked by an enemy tank convoy
· Defense – status of the defense line near the city
· Damage – level of airfield or depot damage
Then, you should choose to either defend friendly units or attack enemy targets. When making this decision, consider mission elapsed time, your current plane set and if you’re flying alone or in squadron. In every mission, you will have plenty of targets. Some of the objectives will be visible, other objectives need a reconnaissance to appear. Cities and their nearby airfields are key strategic points. Each mission cities may spawn tank convoy. It will advance to the nearest enemy city. If it reaches this city, then it will be captured. To counter this, the defending city spawns defense line.
To capture the city, your friendly tank convoy must reach the enemy city and it must win against the defense line setup by the defending city. The more tanks survive, the greater chance for capturing the city. The defense line consists of anti-tank guns, tanks, armored vehicles, dugouts and anti-air batteries. The more of defensive line survives, the greater chance they will destroy tank column. Undamaged defense can usually survive one attack of an undamaged advancing tank column. In this vein, if you want to capture the city you MUST attack the defensive position.
Other important objectives are supply convoys and trains. All effort in attacking airfields or defense line is pointless if they are constantly resupplied so enemy supply objective should be destroyed at every opportunity.
Each side on each map has limits of lost aircraft, pilots, tanks and trucks visible on the main TAW page.
· if aircraft or pilot limit is exceeded then current map is lost
· if tank limit is exceeded then tank convoys are not generated
· if truck limit is exceeded then supply convoys are reduced by half in number of vehicles.
Limits for the current map can be increased by warehouses and ships.
Different maps may have different number of limits at the beginning for each side. In Axis offensive map Axis have more limits and for the first several missions they mainly attack by tanks convoy. Similarly in Allied counteroffensive map Allied have advantage in limits and tanks convoys at the beginning.
3.2 Tank convoy
An advancing tank convoy consist of several tanks, supply trucks and anti-air vehicles. The main strength of these convoys are tanks. The more of them arrive to the enemy city the greater change of capturing the city. Trucks in the convoy represent supply and logistic service, the more of them survive the more supply will be available in your captured city defense line and airfield.
After destroying several vehicles, the pace of the tank column is slower in the next mission. In addition to this, the column is resupplied a little after every mission but if the bridge on the convoy route is destroyed then there isn't any resupply in the tanks convoy.
If tank convoy is near (about 25km) enemy city or airfield then this airfield is closed. Also in that situation an artillery may be spawned if convoy isn’t severely damaged. The artillery support tanks in attacking the enemy defense. If tanks win the battle they capture the city and nearby airfield. If not then they are destroyed and enemy defense and airfield is damaged according to tanks strength.
Frequency of spawning tanks convoys depends on three factors:
· map type (offensive or counteroffensive) - more tank convoys at the beginning of the map
· enemy depo destruction – the greater destruction the more friendly tank convoys
· captured enemy territory – the bigger territory the more friendly tank convoys
3.4 Defense line
Defense line consist of several positions around the city. In every position there are many vehicles and dugouts to destroy. The main strength of the defense line are: tanks and anti-tanks, next armored trucks and BM-13 and in the end dugouts that are connected to each other by dark corridor. Your task is to destroy as many vehicles and dugouts as possible to decrease the strength of the defense line.
A slightly damaged and not attacked defense line is resupplied after each mission. A severely damaged defense line can be replenished by a supply column or train. The defense line can’t be supplied by transport planes.
3.4 Supply convoy
A supply convoy consists of several supply trucks and a few anti-air vehicles. This column is spawned whenever an airfield or a defensive line is severely damaged. If both of them are damaged then the column will be twice as large. Like the advancing tank column, the more vehicles arrive to the city, the more defense line or airfield will be resupplied. An attacked and damaged supply convoy will move slower. The supply convoy doesn’t have an icon on the map at the beginning of the mission. You will have to recon the white circled area in which the supply column is located. Once you locate it the icon is visible for others on the map.
3.5 Airfields and cities
Airfield is a vital strategic point on the map. If tank column captures the city it also capture nearby airfield. Airfields are very well defended by the strong AA. You should attack them from the horizontal flight with heavy bombers. To completely destroy the airfield you need to destroy hangars, fuel dumps and aircraft. Only frontline airfields can be attacked (they have info “Attack!” on the map in game). If airfield is damaged more than 75% then it’s closed. If it’s damaged more 85% then it’s destroyed completely. Destroyed static planes are counted as aircraft lost.
Enemy Allied airfields can be also captured by paratroops. If it's damaged more than 50% the paratroopers drop zone (blue circle) is visible on the map near the enemy city. Then if 60 or more paratroopers land within the area of the drop zone the enemy city may be captured by them with a chance between 50% - 100%. The more damaged airfield the bigger chance paratroopers will capture it. Captured airfield by tanks or paratroopers is closed for one mission (repair status). If paratroopers failed in capturing the airfield is damaged by them.
Not attacked airfield is repaired a little after each mission using supplies. If airfield is severely damaged then supply column is send to it. If enemy tank column is near the airfield or city (about 25km) then this airfield is closed. You may not take off and land on it. There is limited number of aircraft on damaged airfields.
You may also resupply friendly airfields by transport airplanes. Transport planes are: Ju 52/3m with cargo, also Pe-2, He-111, Ju-88 with 100% fuel and no bombs and rockets. Ju-52 with cargo resupply airfield by about 7%, others by about 4%. You must takeoff from an airfield damaged less than 40% and successfully land on an airfield damaged more than 0%. If you successful in transport then you get a Combat Mission.
The friendly airfield will not be supplied by transport airplane in two cases:
· This airfield was damage more than 85% in current mission
· This airfield was captured by enemy in current mission
Repaired airfield may be still closed for 1 or 2 missions. Airfield without supply can’t be repaired. Supply level of the airfield is available in the mission briefing.
Cities with airfield has round icon with the airplane inside on the web map and cities without airfield has squared icon with blocks inside. Airfields with a little dot on the map are “border airfields”. They are better protected by AA, faster repairing. You can take off transport aircraft from it even if it’s damaged more than 40%.
Airfields layout with targets is available on the web site. Click on the city name on the main page to see the airfield layout. Only main targets need to be destroy.
Depots are strategic points located far away from the front lines. They consist of many buildings representing factory industries and storages. Depots are heavily defended by AA. You should attack them by the horizontal flight with heavy bombers. The more buildings are destroyed the bigger impact it has on the gameplay.
If two enemy depots are completely destroyed then:
· number of enemy vehicles in tank and supply convoy is reduced by 30%
· supply by enemy trains is reduced by 30%
· strength of enemy defense position is reduced by 30%
· some payload are not available on enemy airfields
· friendly tank convoys spawn more frequently
Destroyed depot is partially rebuild after 15 missions. Damaged depot is repaired a little after each three missions in which it wasn’t attacked. Destroyed buildings are counted as tanks lost in 3:1 ratio.
There are randomly generated troops near the frontline. They consist of several trucks and a few AA. There is no icon for them on the map so don’t be surprised if suddenly they start shooting at you. They also inform about spotted enemy aircraft in 5 km range.
To complete this objective you have to destroy the enemy bridge. If done then enemy tank convoy will not be supplied in the next missions.
To complete this objective you have to destroy the enemy train at the station. If done then enemy defense position will not be supplied by this train.
3.10 Warehouses and ships
Warehouses and ships are spawned and visible on the map once a few days. If not destroyed they increase limits by.
· 80 aircraft
· 150 tanks
· 240 trucks
· 135 aircraft
· 225 tanks
· 360 trucks
Damaged or partially destroyed warehouse or ships increase limits by accordingly smaller amount.
4. PLANE SET
The TAW server is still under development and plane set changes during each campaign. The current plane set depends on map number.
* VYa23 is not available for the IL-2 AM-38 '41 on the first map #1
* Sh37 is limited for the IL-2 AM-38 ’42. Limitation depends on depot destruction.
* SC1000 is limited for the He 111 H-6. It’s not available on frontline airfields and limitation depends on depot destruction.
After each map pilot gets new plane set depending on the map number.
Pilot gets one basic aircraft marked as +1 after each mission if he doesn’t have any of such type.
Pilot gets one aircraft after 3 combat missions.
The combat mission (CM) is:
· LANDED/IN FLIGHT sortie with AK/GK
· DITCHED on the friendly airfield sortie with AK/GK
· LANDED/IN FLIGHT sortie without any AK/GK lasts at least 15 min for bombers and attackers
· LANDED/IN FLIGHT sortie without any AK/GK last at least 25 min for fighters
· transport sortie
· Bombers may get additional one combat mission for each 20 min of flight time after the first 15 min (this sortie must have AK/GK).
If pilot ditches on the friendly open airfield then his aircraft will be replenish in the next mission.
If pilot ditches on the friendly territory but outside the airfield then his aircraft will be replenish after 3 next missions. To ditch try to belly land as close your friendly cities or ground units as possible.
If pilot crashes or bails out over enemy territory there is always a chance he will not be captured
All AK/GK are counted if a pilot ends sortie alive (no killed, captured or disco)
Some ground objects like hangars, depot buildings, ships are counted as more than one GK.
If pilot disconnects during a flight then all his AK/GK and combat missions are not counted and:
· aircraft is not lost if pilot or aircraft wasn’t damaged at all
· aircraft is lost if pilot or aircraft was damaged and disconnection took place more than 5min after last damage
· aircraft is lost and AK/GK streak is reset to 0 if pilot or aircraft was damaged and disconnection took place less than 5min after last damage. Sortie result is DISCO.
During the TAW campaign pilots collet medals, diplomas and experience points. The more point the higher rank you are. Pilots get experience points for:
· air kill +50
· air kill assist +10
· tank +15
· ship +200
· other ground kills +7
· landing on the airfield +15
· each 3min of flight time +1 (result IN FLIGHT/LANDED)
· death, captured, DISCO -300
· crash or bailout -60
· ditch -30
Remember to check available aircraft before spawning on the airfield!
· Where can I find the remaining time of the current mission?
The duration of every mission varies and last from 1:55 to 2:05. Please check elapsed time on the main TAW page to estimate remaining time. You may also use aircraft clock and mission start time in the briefing.
· Why my icons on the map have wrong color?
You should set “USSR always red” in the game settings.
· I’m constantly kicked from the server after spawning on the airfield, why?
Make sure if your aircraft is available in the pilot details. If you are grounded (team kill, chat language etc.) then you will not be able to fly for several missions.
· I shot down an enemy aircraft but it didn’t counted after my sortie, why?
If you are killed, captured or disconnected from the server then no AK/GK is counted. Sometimes this aircraft was shot down earlier by someone else or AA. You can check enemy’s sortie in details by clicking on enemy name in your sortie details.
· I was kick from the server and now I’m banned from TAW on the servers list, why?
There is slot reservation system which is used sometimes by TAW developers StG2 and =LG= squadrons. To prevent from joining the server when no free slots are available players are temporarily banned. As soon as some free slots are available again all players are unbanned. If server has no more free slots then there is a message on the TAW main page above the map “Server is full!”. Please wait a while in that case.